This forum has moved to a new location and is in read-only mode. Please visit talk.octobercms.com to access the new location.

benfreke
benfreke

Hello fellow plugin developers.

I've come to the realisation that I'm probably going to re-write my plugin with some breaking changes. Which means that anybody upgrading is going to have the component stop working on their site.

So, do I rely on people to know that I'm using semantic versioning and be able to update all pages/layouts? Or should I create a new plugin?

Personally, I want to just update the existing plugin. But as I don't know of a way to downgrade plugins it'd probably be better to go with create a new plugin. What do other people think?

daftspunky
daftspunky

Since we are in Beta, I would say the breaking changes are alright so long as you provide an upgrade path.

We have plans to add the ability to create multiple "builds" for each plugin. With this feature you would have an old build (v1) and a new build (v2). By default existing users remain on the old build, new users get the new build. Users on the old build have the option to opt-in to the new build, with the knowledge of the impending breaking changes.

1-2 of 2

You cannot edit posts or make replies: the forum has moved to talk.octobercms.com.