This forum has moved to a new location and is in read-only mode. Please visit talk.octobercms.com to access the new location.

mailbox9535
mailbox9535

Hi everybody, OctoberCMS captured my attention, more so the StaticPages plugin. Looking good and I wet my toes successfully.

Question is: has anyone actually done a medium-sized site (around 100 pages) using October and StaticPages? Or is October aimed for presentation, card-like sites only?

I am talking about standard stuff: multiple site sections, with multiple section depths.

My main gripe is how to implement navigation per site section?

You can create menu for each section - sure, not a problem. But then, how do you implement them on the template? Ideally, you would have a template for, say, second-level pages and then there would be a placeholder for sub-menu, and the that placeholder would resolve to a current section. Can this be done via the interface? This is pretty trivial requirement - maybe I am overlooking something?

The only way I figured this out would be if you extend the base twig template, so that there would be a new sub-template for each site section and you would manually setup a sub-navigation menu for each corresponding template. Tried this and it seems like there is a bug and twig templates cannot be extended (i.e. https://octobercms.com/forum/post/unable-to-use-twigs-extend-function-in-layouts?page=1). Bummed.

TLDR: Trying to implement multiple sub navigation menus on a medium-sized site, not sure how.

Any advice appreciated, would love to migrate to October.

axomat
axomat

Hi We have a growing site of a similar size and starting to find similar frustrations.

We have a layout for each section; there is a menu for each section which is hardcoded in each layout. This works but you start to grow the number of layouts which is not great.

Next you cant have permissions per section so someone with permission to edit one page has access to edit all pages.

Next you cant have pages nested to more than one level so you end up with a long list of pages and the list shown on the backend Pages page becomes longer and longer and a challenge to navigate.

Also we have a mix of pages in CMS (when we need to use a component) and Pages (when we need to show the page on a menu and use the wysiwyg editor) which is confusing, you dont know where to find a specific page, you have to look through both (long) lists.

But I still think October is great, it is very easy to extend with plugins; either plugins from someone else or even to develop your own. I have just listed my minor frustrations that stop this being a real dominant CMS like I think it could be.

mailbox9535
mailbox9535

Thanks for your input, axomat. So, a separate layout for each section, eh? That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

1-3 of 3

You cannot edit posts or make replies: the forum has moved to talk.octobercms.com.