No, right now the Room Booking plugin supports all popular payment methods (PayPal, Creditcard, iDeal, Bank transfers, Bitcoin, etc.). It does so using a single API from Mollie.com, an international Dutch Payment Service Provider (PSP).
From a functionality point of view Stripe does not offer any benefits other than being a better known brand. The Stripe API's that are famous for being well documented and simple to use actually are inferior to what Mollie has been doing thus far. Having said that I think it is always a good idea to offer customers different options so I am planning on integrating Stripe as well :)
However, at the moment I am still focussing on the core functionality of the Room Booking plugin:
- writing (better) documentation,
- making example-themes available,
- testing & optimising core functionality in different user scenarios
For your convenience I have listed the PROS and CONS of various PSP's:
Stripe is a popular Payment Service Provider that focusses on creditcards and has recently added different payment methods (they call these "sources").
When Stripe first launched to the public, the Stripe API was a difference maker. It's clean, well documented, and extremely easy to use. Payment processor APIs of the past were buggy, inconsistent, and poorly documented. In fact, PayPal was one of the worst offenders.
- Stripe supports different payment methods (but is focussed on creditcard)
- Stripe may have a reputation for being a difference maker in payment API's, Mollies's API is actually FAR superior to Stripe.
In a way, Stripe has forced PayPal to up its game. The documentation and organization of their new RESTful PayPal API is vastly improved and modeled after Stripe (coincidentally). This is an example of competition benefiting customers. Stripe has set a new standard for a clean and well documented API, and the rest of the industry (including PayPal) is rushing to catch up.
- PayPal is widely used (in some parts of the world, not in Europe)
- PayPal integration only supports 1 payment method: PayPal (creditcard)
Mollie is a Payment Service Provider from the Netherlands (that's probably why you have not heard about it). Mollie offers a single API for creditcard, PayPal, iDeal, Money transfer, bitcoins, etc. Mollies's API is actually FAR superior to Stripe.
- Mollie supports different payment methods
- Mollies's API is actually FAR superior to Stripe