This forum has moved to a new location and is in read-only mode. Please visit talk.octobercms.com to access the new location.

pymarco
pymarco

Hi, I am working on a backend form plugin. If a user navigates to a non-existent id, how do I redirect to 404? Currently I get an exception.

Form behavior has not been initialized, check that you have called initForm() in your controller.

Type: undefined

Exception: System\Classes\ApplicationException

http://www.example.com/backend/author/plugin/controller/preview/999

(ps: I sure wish this forum had a preview button)

Last updated

brokenpixels2325
brokenpixels2325

I'd question how you end up trying to update a non-existent ID. Your interface shouldn't allow this to happen.

I get that you'd like to show a nicer error, though.

When I try this with RainLab.User, I get the following message:

Form record with an ID of 123456 could not be found.

This is because the update.htm correctly intercepts the fatal error. See below.

... Breadcrumbs and stuff ...
<?php if (!$this->fatalError): ?>
    ... Normal form stuff - render the form, the buttons, sidebar, etc. ...
<?php else: ?>
    <div class="padded-container">
        <div class="control-breadcrumb">
            <?= Block::placeholder('breadcrumb') ?>
        </div>
            <p class="flash-message static error"><?= e($this->fatalError) ?></p>
        <p><a href="<?= Backend::url('rainlab/user/users') ?>" class="btn btn-default">Return to users list</a></p>
    </div>
<?php endif ?>

If the fatal error isn't being caught in your plugin, adjust your update.htm (and the rest of your forms) to include that.

-- Edit: Actually, if I remove this check, I just get a 404.

initForm is called by the update(..) action on the base Controller:

public function update($recordId = null, $context = null)
{
    try {
        $this->context = strlen($context) ? $context : $this->getConfig('update[context]', 'update');
        $this->controller->pageTitle = $this->controller->pageTitle ?: $this->getLang('update[title]', 'backend::lang.form.update_title');
        $model = $this->controller->formFindModelObject($recordId);
        $this->initForm($model);

$this->controller->vars['formModel'] = $model;
    }
    catch (Exception $ex) {
        $this->controller->handleError($ex);
    }
}

Make sure that your controller extends Controller, and public $implement = [ 'Backend.Behaviors.FormController' ];

If you're still getting the error and you've checked all that, it'd be helpful to see your controller code.

Last updated

1-2 of 2

You cannot edit posts or make replies: the forum has moved to talk.octobercms.com.