This forum has moved to a new location and is in read-only mode. Please visit talk.octobercms.com to access the new location.

rich19036
rich19036

Problems Installing OctoberCMS on 1and1. Any guidance would be appreciated, my Linux experience is weak having just switched from windows after getting pissed off at Win10 costing me too much time doing repairs.

I've had failures with both of the terminal installation procedures.

Hosting Account Specs

• PHP: 5.6.26
  • PDO Driver: 5.0.11-dev
  • MCrypt: 2.5.8
  • cURL: 7.38.0
  • LibMbfl: 1.3.2
  • Zip: 1.12.5 / Libzip: 0.11.2
  • GD Lib: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)

Terminal Installation - Technique One
Command:
curl -s https://octobercms.com/api/installer | php
Result:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_NEW in - on line 421

Terminal Installation - Technique Two
Command:
php -r "eval('?>'.file_get_contents('https://octobercms.com/api/installer'));"
Result:
Error in argument 1, char 2: option not found -r

Attempted Solutions

• Tried curl -s octobercmsurl -f installer.php to save installer to php but it saved as installer
  • Tried renaming installer to installer.php and then w/browser got many errors
  • Tried running the file using command line with ./installer.php
  • I opened everything up to 777 temporarily - no cigar.
  • I temporarily commented out the htaccess file and running still no cigar.

Below is what shows up when I do http://domain/installer.php

All settings correct for installing OctoberCMS Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'The HOME or COMPOSER_HOME environment variable must be set for composer to run correctly' in /homepages/6/d633340422/htdocs/prd/suboxone/index.php:549 Stack trace: #0 /homepages/6/d633340422/htdocs/prd/suboxone/index.php(518): getUserDir() #1 /homepages/6/d633340422/htdocs/prd/suboxone/index.php(404): getHomeDir() #2 /homepages/6/d633340422/htdocs/prd/suboxone/index.php(52): installOctober(false, false, false, false, 'stable') #3 /homepages/6/d633340422/htdocs/prd/suboxone/index.php(12): process(Array) #4 {main} thrown in /homepages/6/d633340422/htdocs/prd/suboxone/index.php on line 549

Lessons Learned (added after successful install)

The command line installer doesn't work well on 1and1 hosting - never got it to work
The administration part of the program is accessed using a separate URL - by default by adding 'backend' to the URL
You can't install plugins or themes until you figure out how to get to the backend, lol
You shouldn't just transfer all your files from local machine to your deployment (prod) machine because it won't work you need to install everything first.

Last updated

roger.remacle18626
roger.remacle18626

I don't have a 1and1 answer for you, however a much better option for October is DigitalOcean combined with Serverpilot. (digitalocean.com - serverpilot.io).

Serverpilot takes care of server setup as well as maintenance and they have an easy install tutorial for October using SFTP.

Worth a look, good luck!

1-2 of 2

You cannot edit posts or make replies: the forum has moved to talk.octobercms.com.